Question about selling fertile eggs (localy)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Morning Dove, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I noticed on craig's list that people are looking for fertile eggs. I only have two brown egg layers, and this person wants 2 dozen. How should I store the eggs, if he wants them to hatch? I only have two nest boxes (total of 6 hens) so I'd rather not leave them in the coop. Any ideas?

Dove

2. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Also, how much should I sell fertile eggs for?

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    That would take at least 12 days if your hens lay every day and hatchability decreases significantly after days 6-8. I just store mine on my countertop...make sure pointy end is down in the carton.

4. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    So, perhaps I should sell him one dozen at a time, or as many as I can get in 6 days......

Dove

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I place gathered eggs, unwashed, into egg cartons on leave them on the counter in my kitchen. That makes it easy to turn them, which you should do at least twice a day.

Some people will tell you to store them at 65 degrees, but I don't think it's necessary. Here's why... a hen lays an egg a day until she gets 8 to 10 and starts to set. Doesn't seem to matter what the temp is out in the henhouse, because they still hatch.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that people overthink and overcomplicate egg hatching. I have very high hatch rates using my method.

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:I don't even turn mine and I still get about a 90% hatch rate. They're definitely not as fragile as a lot of people think. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by