Question about selling roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JustChicky, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I have 3-10 month old cockerels that someone wants. They are somewhat feral, I guess, because they are outside 24/7, but I give them food, water, and a makeshift roost by our workshop. I can only catch them at night. They like us and come up to anyone but they aren't like the rest of my chickens, male or female.

So, they say they are going to give them a house, food & water. But they don't want any pullets.

I'm just worried they are going to cock-fight.

What do you think?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    doubt it...those are usually high dollar and come from long time breeders and have very definate shape and confirmation

3. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Okay, thank you. I just thought it was weird that they only wanted roosters. I don't know anything about it.

4. SummerwindNC

SummerwindNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Camden, NC
    They are most likely going to be stew birds....if you don't mind, then... I hated having too many roos. I can't cull anything so I ended up selling trio's for pets only. I drop off & have good communication with their new owners. Never had any problems...you know, that I errr, know of.

KAT

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I just got 4 roosters from a gal on here...I thought they were cool! well two of them were and a friend could use one and one well will taste good! They might be wanting to eat them...some folks like rooster better and they usually sell for less than pullets...just another thought

6. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    It is fine if they eat them, I can't do that. I just don't want them beat up.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if their regular ole roo's,, they either have enough pullets, and only want that many roo's, or their gonna be dinnah ,, either way, they wont use them for any kind of fighting.

8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I actually have "game" birds but those guys wouldn't want them because they are not proven and are bred for show...just not tough enough

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    *JustChicky* :

I have 3-10 month old cockerels that someone wants. They are somewhat feral, I guess, because they are outside 24/7, but I give them food, water, and a makeshift roost by our workshop. I can only catch them at night. They like us and come up to anyone but they aren't like the rest of my chickens, male or female.

So, they say they are going to give them a house, food & water. But they don't want any pullets.

I'm just worried they are going to cock-fight.

What do you think?

What breed of roosters are they?

you only say "they" are "they" two men, 3 men?? a woman and a man?? two women?? If it is two or more men, I would say cock-fighters.. If they want chickens to eat, it would not make any difference if they were pullets or roosters..

I think you already know the answer..​

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    OK from what I understand the sport of fighting is taboo on here, so hopefully I won't get in trouble.

About 10 years ago I has neighbors who had one or two hens and about a dozen roosters. Now I never saw them do anything with them but I worked Saturdays. One Saturday I came home for lunch and my yard and their yard was full of Sheriff's cars and birds were being taken away in crates. People were being taken away in cuffs. That neighbor always blamed me for turning them in, I didn't but was glad when they moved.

Their birds did not look like game birds to me at the time, but I think small time lawbreakers don't really care. The moral is you never know, but I would make it clear to them you do not sell for that purpose to protect yourself from prosecution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by