Question about separating setting ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chikky, Jan 11, 2011.

1. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Last spring, I let the calls set on their eggs. One problem seemed to be that the egg pile kept growing, so there'd be 20+ eggs there. I assume that both ducks kept contributing eggs daily (only one was sitting on them). I attempted to write a date on the eggs, but that meant that I was messing with the nest too often and the dates rubbed off. (She ended up leaving the nest too early and nothing hatched).

Should I separate the setting duck completely until the eggs hatch? This year, I have 4 ducks (and one drake), so I can see that egg pile ending up like a mountain of eggs with a tiny duck sitting on top.

From what I've read, the nest shouldn't be too big or the eggs don't get the proper heat and attention from the duck.

Am I thinking correctly? What do you experienced duck folk do?

Thanks!

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    A duck would not be able to handle that many eggs. Are they actually setting on them? You might try having multiple nests for the multiple ducks.

3. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Do you have to separate them so they each have a nest, or do they just know to do that? I swear that they were both laying eggs in the same nest last year. If I make several nest areas, will they each choose one and leave the other alone?

4. Yes, ducks are usually quite happy to keep contributing to an established nest. They don't seem to know or care whose eggs are whose.
    It really is safest for a number of reasons to separate a broody hen. But don't move the nest or the hen will give up. My best results are when I let a hen go broody and then move the other ducks to other housing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by