Question about seramas

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenaddict, May 12, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have had issues with the hens picking the neck feathers off my roosters. I have seperated a roo who looked like a turken by the time the hens were done with him so he could heal properly. He is now back in with the hens and they are at it again!!! Has anyone else had this problem? What could I do about it. I was thinking lack of protein but they are on gamebird/layer crumbles I mix it 2 parts layer and 1 part gamebird feed on top of scratch grains and black oil sunflower seed as treats. Any advice will be much appreciated [​IMG]

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I haven't had problems with them picking neck feathers - but I had a problem with the hens pecking the tail of my rooster. I wrote about it on my BYC page in my signature and described how I handled it. You may find it useful. I know how frustrating these types of issues in a flock can be. Best of luck.

Penny

3. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I've got a mottled cochin roo thats starting to look like a turken also, One of the hens peck his neck feathers too. She went broody along with another hen and they shared a nest I noticed today when I moved the one hen and baby that she had her neck feathers picked also.. Not sure what makes her do it...

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    They are probably bored or cramped. How big is their cage? Put styrofoam (it won't hurt them) or a head of cabbage in the coop for them to peck at. Increasing protein may only worsen the problem because they'll fill up faster and be less hungry... thus leaving spare time for boredom and feather picking. Perches, sand, lawn clippings, and scratch will help keep them amused.

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:Mine free range during the day, and its only the one hen that does it. [​IMG]

6. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Their pen is HUGE 7 ft wide by 4 ft deep and i only have 6 seramas in there. There are plenty of perches in the pen and i toss in scratch for them every morning as well as take them outside for a few hours a day (weather permitting) They pretty much have the run of the 3rd stall garage when they are locked inside. The boys don't mind the hens picking their necks clean at all in fact i caught one of the roos cooing at the hen like it felt good or something [​IMG] None of my other breeds do this just the seramas. I sure will try the head of cabbage and see if that does the trick otherwise the boys will need to be seperated permanently except briefly for breeding purposes.

Thanks for that info basicliving and thank you everyone else for the advice and input [​IMG]

7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
  8. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Go to the pet store and get a product called Bitter Apple you spray it on and its bitter and it discourages this but, I would also do something to help w/ boredom. I do use cabbages and McMurphy has these feed blocks that hang in the coop.[​IMG]

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Ondra's Seramas :

My serama hens pick the head feathers off each other. They have plenty of room. By applying this: http://www.roosterboosterproducts.com/product/50910 It stops, heals, and controls head picking. I just need to remember to stay on top of it.

Ohhh thanks for that link ondra, I have never heard of that stuff and its pretty cheap!! I'll definately be giving that a try. As for the bitter apple spray it didn't phase the hens at all. I had some laying around for an unruly kitten who LOVES to chew cords. Blucoat didn't stop them from picking the feathers either in fact it seemed to provoke them even more. Once the neck is bare they leave the roosters alone until they start growing back so they don't pick them open at all. I'm still curious as to why they are doing this when they have plenty of room and are spoiled rotten [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by