Question about setting Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scramblingmyeggs, Aug 14, 2010.

1. scramblingmyeggs

scramblingmyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    My Pekin pair has been setting for 25 days and stopped setting yesterday evening! I have noticed the female go to the eggs for about 5 minutes at a time today and last evening, but isn't setting on them constantly the way she was before. The pair is still hanging around the nest, but is not setting on it. Are these eggs done for? It is really hot out, maybe they are leaving the eggs because they don't want them to overheat? Should I leave the eggs for another few days and see what happens (hatch day was supposed to be this Monday, by my calculations)? I have never had my ducks set, so this is a first for us...!

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Leave it alone. Lower temps for hatching are actually better. I bet the duck knows what she is doing and is monitoring it. Just sit back and wait for the hatch to happen.

3. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Is she sitting during the night? If not I personally would take them into the house and set up some sort of brooder, even in summer my ducks would only leave the nest for about an hour a day, Let us know how you go.

4. scramblingmyeggs

Apr 9, 2010
    She is still setting intermittently... very strange, I can't figure out a pattern. Today she pushed 2 eggs out of the nest, and one of them was broken and there was clearly no baby in it. I guess we will know tomorrow if the others are viable or now (day 28).

3 out of 4 of the remaining eggs look a bit darker to me... could this mean there is someone in them?

5. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Possibly, as long as there is no marbling on the shell and they don't stink, hope you get some hatch. Good luck, let us know how you go.

6. scramblingmyeggs

Apr 9, 2010
    Well, there is a big thunder storm happening tonight right now, and the ducks are on the nest, so that is good I guess. We`ll see what tomorrow brings! (hopefully babies!)

7. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I'll be watching this thread!

8. scramblingmyeggs

Apr 9, 2010
    Nothing! I think they are rotten. If they haven't hatched by tomorrow I will take them. Oh well... [​IMG]

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just be careful. More than one person has tossed a "bad egg" only to find out there was a late baby in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by