Question about Seven Dust

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hambone, May 31, 2010.

1. Hambone

Hambone Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    I bought some seven 5 in a shaker can for my garden. I was planning to use this on my chickens also. I was reading the back of the container and it did not sound like it was safe to use on animals. It said something about fatal if absorbed into skin and to keep away from pets. I know a lot of people on here use this so is there a specific kind of seven dust you are using on your chickens?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin5 is what I use to dust my chickens if they have lice/mites. Be sure to visually inspect your chickens if they do in fact have those critters on them.

3. Hambone

Hambone Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    I looked all over one of my birds and did not see anything. Just a lot of broken feather tips. I wanted to treat just to be safe.

4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I use Sevin dust for gardening but I don't like to use it as a dust but put it in the planting hole to kill grubs, wireworms etc.. It is deadly to Bumblebees and Honeybees.
    I use Stock Pest on my chickens. It contains Carbaryl, the same ingredient in Sevin and it is cheaper.
    Stock Pest can be used on all farm animals and dogs if need be.
    So check out your local livestock supply store and see if they have a simular product it might save you some money.

Last edited: May 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by