Question about sex of duckling

pipit

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brooksville, FL
I have a Buff Orpington duckling that hatched out December 9th. Until last night I was 99% sure it was a drake. It's bill is turning lighter instead of darker and the feathers coming in are darker. both signs of a Buff drake. However, last night I cleaned the brooder and left out the 2 plush toys I had in there for it to snuggle with so I could wash them. This little duck was inconsolable and amid the squeaking and cheeping, it made what certainly sounded like quacking noises to me! I'm hoping it's a girl (more eggs). Can Buff Orpington females have light colored bills? Penny, our duck, has a dark bill and PJ, our drake, has a yellow bill. I know only time will tell for sure. I'd kind of like to know so I can start calling it by it's forever name.

Firstly I just wanted to say "19 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 mini-Saanen goats, 2 dogs, 2 sons, and one incredible hubby!" Is that list in your signature in order of importance...or do you always save the best til last.
gig.gif

But about your baby- Voice would be that best way to sex at this age- but bill colour could also be important. I am wondering if the little one was getting a sore voice from all the quacking..and thats why you heard the noises you did. Give it another week or two - and you will get a better idea.

I'll bet she's a she. That quacking sound can begin to show up as early as two weeks (though it's rarely noticeable at that age unless you have a small group) and by four weeks it's very often identifiable if you know what to listen for and have time.
smile.png
I have never heard something that sounded at all like a quack and later been wrong about it--the boys will usually keep peeping for much longer than the girls anyway.

So, congrats! I might be wrong, but I'm placing my bets on pink.

Back
Top Bottom