1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Question about sex of duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pipit, Jan 6, 2011.

1. pipit

pipit In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    I have a Buff Orpington duckling that hatched out December 9th. Until last night I was 99% sure it was a drake. It's bill is turning lighter instead of darker and the feathers coming in are darker. both signs of a Buff drake. However, last night I cleaned the brooder and left out the 2 plush toys I had in there for it to snuggle with so I could wash them. This little duck was inconsolable and amid the squeaking and cheeping, it made what certainly sounded like quacking noises to me! I'm hoping it's a girl (more eggs). Can Buff Orpington females have light colored bills? Penny, our duck, has a dark bill and PJ, our drake, has a yellow bill. I know only time will tell for sure. I'd kind of like to know so I can start calling it by it's forever name.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Firstly I just wanted to say "19 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 mini-Saanen goats, 2 dogs, 2 sons, and one incredible hubby!" Is that list in your signature in order of importance...or do you always save the best til last. [​IMG]

But about your baby- Voice would be that best way to sex at this age- but bill colour could also be important. I am wondering if the little one was getting a sore voice from all the quacking..and thats why you heard the noises you did. Give it another week or two - and you will get a better idea.

3. pipit

pipit In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    I always save the best for last![​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I'll bet she's a she. That quacking sound can begin to show up as early as two weeks (though it's rarely noticeable at that age unless you have a small group) and by four weeks it's very often identifiable if you know what to listen for and have time. [​IMG] I have never heard something that sounded at all like a quack and later been wrong about it--the boys will usually keep peeping for much longer than the girls anyway.

So, congrats! I might be wrong, but I'm placing my bets on pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by