Question about sexes bantams!

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
I will soon be getting my own coop (I’m purchasing a playhouse (pretty spacious and well designed) and we are converting it into a chicken coop. I’m very excited about it. It has a loft that is going to serve as a brooder or hospital area (depending on need at the time). I’m going to get a cute personalized sign to hang off of the house and may even get a mini mailbox. I plan for my coop to primarily bantams. I’d say 90% bantams. There are a few breeds I would like to add in that aren’t bantam, but they’re on the smaller side anyhow.

I would like for my coop to be all hens, as well. My history with roosters is no bueno (our barred rock attacked my legs very badly back in March and I still have scars from it)(barred changed to ‘hatred’ the first time I typed it which is fitting because he definitely hates me) which is why I made this decision. Aside from My Pet Chicken, are there ways to purchase sexed bantams? I’ve been told to look for breeders but I can’t find any near me (Eastern Shore, MD).

I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to chancing a rooster bantam but I’m scared he would turn out like our others. My guess is that even if bantam roosters are aggressive they wouldn’t be able to do as much damage due to their size, but I really don’t want to chance it.

Anyone have experience ordering sexed bantams? And if you’ve ordered sexed bantams via MPC, what has been your experience?

Thank you.

I don't think you're going to have much luck finding sexed bantams. The only certain way to tell what gender a chick is at birth (except if the chick is sex linked) is to vent sex the chick. This takes many years of training to be able to do it properly, and you can seriously injure the chick. Vent sexing is especially dangerous with bantams because they are so much smaller and more delicate than standard sized chickens.
Most roosters are not aggressive. You can also get certain breeds of chickens where roosters are known to be very friendly.

I will soon be getting my own coop (I’m purchasing a playhouse (pretty spacious and well designed) and we are converting it into a chicken coop. I’m very excited about it. It has a loft that is going to serve as a brooder or hospital area (depending on need at the time). I’m going to get a cute personalized sign to hang off of the house and may even get a mini mailbox. I plan for my coop to primarily bantams. I’d say 90% bantams. There are a few breeds I would like to add in that aren’t bantam, but they’re on the smaller side anyhow.

I would like for my coop to be all hens, as well. My history with roosters is no bueno (our barred rock attacked my legs very badly back in March and I still have scars from it)(barred changed to ‘hatred’ the first time I typed it which is fitting because he definitely hates me) which is why I made this decision. Aside from My Pet Chicken, are there ways to purchase sexed bantams? I’ve been told to look for breeders but I can’t find any near me (Eastern Shore, MD).

I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to chancing a rooster bantam but I’m scared he would turn out like our others. My guess is that even if bantam roosters are aggressive they wouldn’t be able to do as much damage due to their size, but I really don’t want to chance it.

Anyone have experience ordering sexed bantams? And if you’ve ordered sexed bantams via MPC, what has been your experience?

Thank you.
The reason bantams usually come straight run is because it’s very hard on them to be vent sext. They are too small when they are day olds it’s barbaric. If I get roosters I will bring them to the Feed store. I try to find homes for them myself before I resort to the feed store but they always get adopted there. Same goes for shipping bantams it’s very hard on them and they often don’t make it depending how far away they’re being shipped from. A local breeder it would be your best bet.

Thank you.

Bantams are too small to safely sex most of the time. That's why hardly anywhere sells them sexed

The reason bantams usually come straight run is because it’s very hard on them to be vent sext. They are too small when they are day olds it’s barbaric. If I get roosters I will bring them to the Feed store. I try to find homes for them myself before I resort to the feed store but they always get adopted there. Same goes for shipping bantams it’s very hard on them and they often don’t make it depending how far away they’re being shipped from. A local breeder it would be your best bet.
Also I have hatched a lot of eggs here and I have never had an aggressive rooster. I handle them a lot when they are chics. All my hens allow me to do that and encourage their babies to eat out of my hand so they get very used to being handled by people. The roosters wind up being just as tame as the hens. I don’t keep them because our bedroom is right on the Chicken yard side and we do live in a neighborhood. Since they don’t complain about my 27 hens and have never complained about an occasional rooster I don’t like to push my luck! Anyway the hens don’t appreciate it.

Bantams (other than Silkies and Polish) are able to be sexed typically by 6 weeks.

Try getting on CL and looking for started pullets. If you can't find any ads, place an ISO ad.

You could also call your local TSC and ask if they have any upcoming poultry swaps. If so, go out there and talk to people.

Good luck!!

My Pet Chicken and Cackle offer sexed bantams. I believe you can order any bantam from MPC sexed, but at an additional cost of $17-20 per chick (leaving actual chick cost at $21-25 each).

Cackle has sexed bantam pullets, either 5 or 10, but only of certain breeds with an accuracy rate of 80%. They must sex them by down color and/or head spot size depending on breed. Here is their description:

Hatchery Choice Pure Breed 1 day old pullet bantams (80% sexing guarantee). May or may not be assorted. Breeds can include: Buff Brahma, Dominique, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Crele Old English, Barred Cochin, Barred Old English Game, Golden Laced Cochin and/or Red Cochin Bantams.

Back
Top Bottom