1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about sexing chicks & sexlink gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HenPen, Apr 30, 2009.

1. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I hatched some of my eggs from my Black sexlink hens and my Wheaten Ameraucana Roo...Do you think I will be able to sex the chicks by color?? So far 4 eggs have hatched....1 is about 2 weeks old now and I really think he is a roo, he is light colored with a black mohawk and also had black on the tip of his wings.He has gotten alot more color on his wings as his feathers are coming in,we call him "Hawk". He was in my first attempt to hatch eggs(I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how).My second bator has eggs hatching now,3 hatched this morning 2 are light colored much like "Hawk" but with out any of the black he hatched with and the 3rd baby is Black.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, you cannot reliably sex chicks from a sexlink parent. It only works on the original cross.

3. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks!!

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    You said he has a mowhawk, do you mean just a stripe of another color or like a raised mohawk? If so I am going to say he is part crested breed like polish unless you are in the UK where the ameraucanas are crested.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

unless you are in the UK where the ameraucanas are crested.

Not quite.....we don't have Ameraucanas in UK.....[​IMG]

It is the UK Araucana which is crested with beard & muffs. There is another variety of Araucana called the Rumpless Araucana which is more like the birds known as just Araucana in US. [​IMG]

6. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by