Question about sexing Polish chicks -

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly G, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I am getting close to ordering a dozen Bantam Polish chicks. I'm ordering from Ideal (if they ever manage to get their website up and running again), and, unfortunately, I have to order a straight run (I can't afford the $10 per pullet that My Pet Chicken charges for sexed bantams).

I have a couple of questions:

1) How soon are you able to identify the cockrels?
    2) How were you able to identify them?

I don't have any interest in having roos....the noise, the aggression, etc. I just don't want them.

I appreciate any and all help - as always [​IMG]

2. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    Quote:I can tell you from the 1 batch that we raised was the little roo's top hat and over all body did grow out faster.
    I do not recal being able to tell tho at all as wee chicks. I think this is one you have to wait a bit for.
    They are cute tho...

3. Kelly G

Ok..that's what I was wondering....it helps e know how much space I'm going to need....growing out a dozen vs growing out 6-8.

Thank you!

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    nevermind..... [​IMG]

ok, going back at looking at MPC's website, it appears that they don't have any bantam sized polish. Their sexed pullets are all $.50 extra.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. Kelly G

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Ah! All my polish are standards...although, they're pretty small. I can't imagine bantams being that much smaller!

(That's my little girl. I think she's pretty darned cute too!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by