Question about shipped chicks

Dogwood Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
When chicks are shipped and arrive at the post office and this I suppose could vary from state to state with post offices, Do they hold them and call you to come pick them up or do they send them out with the mail delivery people? Or do I need to get ahold of my post office and let them know how I would like them handled?

There should be a sticker on the box that says 'Hold at post office, call for pickup' and your name and phone number will be on it. You may want to call the post office a few days ahead of time and let them know your chicks are coming.

let your post office know they are coming and that you would like to be called for pick-up.
I got my call at 5:30am this morning all were alive and doing well so far!

Most hatcheries put instructions for the post office to call you on the shipping label. This is standard procedure but your post office may not know that if they don't receive many chicks or you may get a new employee. However, I consider it important for you to visit or call the post office, tell them you are expecting chicks, and leave your name and phone number for them to call. You should do this after you have received notification your order has shipped.

Occasionally, the hatcheries will mess up on the phone number or address. Most are very good but occasional mistakes can happen, especially when they are shipping 100,000 chicks per week. Often, the call will come well before the post office is open. You might need to ask how you can get the chicks if the front door is locked. I have to encourage my postmistress to call early as she wants to give me time to wake up. I want to get the chicks as early as possible.

If you want them shipped to your door, you can give those instructions, but I would not advise it unless it is absolutely necessary. The extra time and handling is stressful on the chicks.

When I receive chicks I go to the post office and request the main postal hub call me. That way it saves 12 hours sitting at the hub till they ship the next day to my local office. That has helped me when getting chicks in the winter. I have found most people will just call when they hear the peeping.

Thanks so much for the info. I will certainly get a hold of my post office a couple days before they are due to ship and make sure they know to contact me directly. I want them in my hands ASAP so I can give them the start they need. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom