Question about shipped chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ravie, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Hi everyone,

I ordered some chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They should arrive sometime between the 4th (today!) and 7th. I called the hatchery today to inquire as to whether the chicks had shipped yet. I haven't received an e-mail to confirm that they have, but when I log in to my account on the McMurray website, it says that my chicks shipped yesterday. The customer service representative was very nice, but couldn't tell me anything. She didn't even know if my order had hatched yet. That's fine. I was given a date range.

My question is this: Have any of you ever received your chicks in the evening, or do they always arrive in the morning?

I guess I want to know if I can galavant all over the place and occasionally relax and forget where my phone is. [​IMG] It's hard staying close to home and canceling plans, but I want to be there for my thirsty babies when they arrive! My assumption is that if I haven't heard from the Post Office by 8 in the morning, then they're not coming today.

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I always get my call around 1030 in the morning, when the mail truck comes in. they are *usually* on the first shipment of the morning, but depending on your PO, the time may vary. I'd recommend NOT gallavanting around too far from the PO!

Oh, and [​IMG] and enjoy your new babies. Good luck!

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    My post office calls first thing...as soon as the truck pulls in..they don't like the noise of the chicks...that's what on guy told me...lol

4. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    I would recommend calling your post office and letting them know you have chicks coming. I've seen too many stories on here of how the post office didn't call. It seems to depend on the post office and how often they get chicks...

5. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I'm very excited about the arrival of my chicks. I ordered 6 Black Stars, 6 Red Stars, 13 EE, and I am super excited about the "Rare Exotic Chick" that McMurray throws in. I hope it arrives ok and it's crested!

I'd love it if I could still hope for their arrival today. My brooder is ready but it looks so sad and empty without chicks. I hate losing hope each morning as it gets later and later in the day.

6. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Thanks for the tip, Sprawli. I did in fact call the post office and gave them a heads-up. I told them to call me as soon as the poultry arrives, no matter the time!

7. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Mine have arrived at the PO at 10:30ish both times. I'd try to call and see if you could get another rep that might be more knowledgeable. Both times I was able to call and get the tracking number on my chicks shipment.

8. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Thanks for the advice, Janet. Since you were able to get a tracking number, do you know approximately how long it took the chicks to get to you?

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    MOst hatcheries do not put tracking numbers on them.

10. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Not true. That would depend on how they're shipped, and would have nothing to do with the whether the hatchery chose to or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by