question about shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by georgialee, May 26, 2010.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    are they usually early quitters or just never develop at all? I have 3 different batches of eggs incuabting right now. One batch is 22 eggs and I candled on day 8 ... one had a bloodring and ALL of the others are developing and I can see a moving chick in them. Does this mean a bunch are going to die before we reach lockdown? [​IMG] I know the rates usually aren't great with shipped eggs. I just want to know what I should expect.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    There are a lot of factors involved even if the shipper does everything right. Consider yourself lucky if you get 50%, 80% is awesome, anything after that is a miracle. If your seller ships properly, and your incubation practices are good you should get at least something. Only time will tell.

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I only have experience with hatching 1 batch of shipped eggs. I set 14 eggs, 1 I pulled day 10, infertile. 13 went into lockdown. 11 hatched, 1 was a day 15-16 quitter. I only put it in lockdown because it was iffy when candled. The other was fully formed just never hatched.

Shipped eggs can go either way, some have had bad hatches and others have had great hatches! Just depends on packaging and how the USPS handled them.

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like your eggs are doing really well [​IMG] Really depends on how far your shipped eggs traveled and how beat up they were in the mail! My first batch of shipped eggs traveled within California and out of 16 that made it to lockdown only 9 hatched, but 2 have crossed beaks and I think the ones that didn't hatch must have had genetic issues!! Now I have two different batches of shipped eggs in the bator, that traveled over 1000 miles! The first ones due June 2nd~ 8 of the original 15 eggs have moving chicks, and the second batch due June 10th came with broken eggs and are doing very poorly with only a few developing! [​IMG] So may factors effect the success of a hatch!

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    So far you're doing good with the fertility rate. Hatch rate is another thing. Candle again on Day 18 before lockdown and trace in pencil where the air cell is. I found that my shipped eggs had abnormal margins in the air cells due to probable detachment during shipping. The four that I thought were horrid were the ones that didn't hatch....three were full term and just didn't pip and one was kinda soupy, like a Day 16 quitter.

Remember that all hatches (except for those rare 100% ones) have drama, and shipping just ups the ante.

Good luck!

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

YES! I agree with Peep_Show [​IMG] I found the same to be true with the air cells! [​IMG]

7. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks, guys! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by