Question about shipping chickens

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Sebrightmom, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I am new to shipping chickens. I found a rooster I want. He is over 5 hours away. I think it would be cheaper to ship him to me. I was wondering what I need to know. The owner has never shipped before either. So, we are both learning.
    I would love any input. Thanks

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You have to have a special box (around $10) and then pay the special shipping costs (around $30 for one chicken). He'll have to go US Post Office.

A piece of fruit or slice of melon can help keep them hydrated for the journey.

The good news is that USPS would probably be overnight for you, no further away, and at 10 hours of driving, the shipping would be cheaper than gas.

3. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you. I will past the information on to her.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If I'm not mistaken USPS is now requiring the filtered boxes. I just bought one and had it shipped to the seller.
    Box was reasonable $22.00 , shipping on just the box to the seller was $26.00. So $48.00 for the box essentially. My shipping costs for the birds are included in the sell price, but I think it can get pricey.

5. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Thanks. I hate to have one shipped, but I figured I would spend the money in gas to go get him. I drove to get my last chickens but that was only 1 one way this is over 5 hours one way. I would use a whole day just going to get him. I will just have to see what the seller says. Hopefully, I can get him here. I never thought I would spend so much on one chicken. [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I never thought I would spend over $300 on shipped eggs either! I'm starting to look for adults now...I think it's cheaper.

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have purchased started birds the last few times, luckily they have all been local and it is cheaper in the long run.
    I just found a pair online that I am getting, they are about 45 minutes from me, but I know what I am getting and I don't have to keep the brooder clean or clean up chicken dust in my spare bathroom (which is not totally clean from the last round)

8. Sebrightmom

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    It is funny how the world works. As I was trying to get this rooster shipped to me, the woman I got my other chickens from email saying a friend of hers has a rooster that they will give me. It is the same color and quality as the other one.It is just a year old. I love how this wonderful world works. Now I can put the saved money in my chicken fund.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by