Question about shipping cost on hatching eggs.......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BHep, Jan 15, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Here is my question. On hatching egg auctions, there is a shipping cost. So if it says, $12.50 and you pay the $12.50, then recieve the eggs and the boxs shows that the seller has only paid $5.55, how do you handle that??? That's almost $7.00 difference. I have only bought eggs twice, so I do not "know the rule". Is this just how it is done? Would you contact the seller?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    first, $5.50 is cheep for eggs, but was it flat rate or priority, plus supplies for shipping, bubble wrap and/or ???, but some do charge more for shipping that they should but the cost is up to you, if you think the shipping is to high don't buy

I charged $10 to $12 if it was alot less a refund was given

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

That's the way it's done. if they say $12.50, & it was $5.50, then the rest went for handling, packing, & gas to the P.O.

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Thats is what I thought....shipping & handling .
    Thanks.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Bubble wrap is expensive. Plus, packing eggs is very time consuming when you do it right. And you don't always know what the actual shipping costs will be. I would guess that $12.50 covers the seller's tush in all eventualities. Some people charge $15 for shipping and handling to make sure they aren't out money when it all is said and done. I have had packages cost from $5 to $10 to ship depending on where they are going. That cost doesn't include my time, the gas or the supplies.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It depends on how the eggs are packaged. The way we pack ours we use large and small bubble wrap, packing peanuts. that we have to buy. If we sell a dozen eggs that equals 16 sheets of small bubble wrap, 4 sheets of large and the peanuts. If people pack them in an egg carton and newspaper.......then it is cheaper.

Steve

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I figured it out last year or the year before what it cost me on average just for the postage per box and it was somewhere between $12 and $13....don't remember exactly right now. That doesn't take into account any of the wrapping materials I have to buy or my time. I know the postage seems high sometimes, but it really isn't. I don't use the flat rate boxes because the others work better for how I wrap and package my eggs.

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It takes over a hour, sometimes closer to two for us to wrap and pack eggs. The extra shipping costs go for bubble wrap, cartons, newpaper or packing peanuts, and the gas to take it to the PO. I don't mind paying $15 for shipping, provided they get to me in great condition and are packed they way I would pack them to send out.

9. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Also if you are advertizeing your eggs country wide you never know where the orders will come from. I have had to ship just a few towns away and clear to the farthest coast on the same ad. The far ones sometimes take more than you ask. So you have to be able to compensate for that. I would love to just give them away but I would soon be homeless if I did that!

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I gladly pay $15 per shipping, as it cost me about 8 to $10 for postage. I use lots of bubble wrap, and it is expensive. I then stuff other packing around. the cartons and have to find or go pick up a post office box. That costs gas. I feel sure $15 is about what it actually costs to mail two dozen eggs. I'd prefer to pay more than have the eggs in newspaper, they NEVER hatch well. The air sacs get all scrambled up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by