question about shipping eggs*update eggs recieved but not looking good

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lds_horselover2005, Mar 2, 2009.

1. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    Hello everyone!

I have question...How long can eggs sit before you put them in the bator and it really compromises hatch rate? I bought some eggs on ebay, (I know I take the risk but) they have been in the mail since Tueday, Feb.24, so tomorrow is 7 days. I am really worried cus I paid a good bit of money for them.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

7 days is ideal. 10 will often work well too. A lot has to do with how they are handled before they get to you. Good luck!

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

You are saying that they've been in the mail 7 days??? WOW! There was a collection time, then ship time. I'd set them anyway but they are probably going to be marginal with all that time in the mail. I hate it when the PO takes their time to get the packages to you.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    7 to 10 days is suppose to be the max, but I would set them anyway and not waste them. You could have a great hatch if you try.

I just ordered my first ever ebay eggs so we shall see how it goes for me too!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had a couple batches that took 8 days to get to me. I didn't have a great hatch, but some of them did hatch.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Exactly.
    I only set here once a week, so they are atleast 7 days old, BUT these havent been in the hands of the P.O. either.
    Eggs at home can be viable for up to 21 days though the rate falls off by then.
    Last year I had the P.O. loose the only order they have ever lost for me out of 100's sent to me, and of course, these were $300 gould's wild turkey eggs, they arrived 21 days later! One started to develope, but didnt make it.
    Sometimes this happens, they should be to you any time, and with a little luck you may still have a decent hatch, they are not too old by no means, it's just going to depend on how ruff this trip was on them!
    Good luck,
    Aubrey

7. lds_horselover2005

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    Well, I was talking to my mom about it and she said she heard that where the eggs are coming from had a pretty bad snow storm and we had one hit here today. (Sigh) I am hoping they didn't set out on a truck this whole time. I called the PO and asked if it was there. The lady said the eggs left New Jersey Saturday and then she said..."hmm, they should have been here Friday or Saturday" oh well!!!

Tuffoldhen...I hope things work out better for you!!!

Thanks!!!

8. lds_horselover2005

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    I got the eggs today, but I am worried. One of them broke so it may have been a rough ride!!! I hope not. I paid too much for these to be no good:( Wish me luck!!!

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    candle them before you set them.
    Look to see if the air cell is ruputred or loose in g the big end of thegg.
    If it's loose, it may still hatch, you will notice it shiffting as you roll the eggs from side to side. However, if it is ruptured, there will be no aparent air cell and you will see tiny bubbles floating threw the egg, these are junked, I have never hatched one that way. By all means still set them to be safe, but these are good indicators of how ruff of a trip it was on then, some times a broken egg if just a fluke,
    Maybe you will be alright, hate to hear of folks loosing their money on bad shippments.
    Good luck,
    Aubrey

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would set them all and see what happens. What are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by