Question about shipping hatching eggs

thkosan

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 10, 2008
Hempstead, TX
I have shipped about 200 dozen eggs through the US Postal Service. I print labels that state "hatching eggs" "do not drop or jar" and "this way up." I have never had a problem until now. I shipped 6 boxes (10 dozen eggs) via Priority Mail on the morning of 02/09/2009 to customers in a variety of locations in the US. None of the 6 boxes made it but one. We are now on day 8. Today the first customer received her eggs -- they were marked "HAZMAT DESIGNATED SURFACE ONLY." The box had been opened, inspected, designated HAZMAT and then shipped via ground. My customers are po'd and I had to refund them all. Only one had elected to buy insurance, but even so, late delivery is not covered, only loss. I have filed a claim nonetheless, because at this point, the eggs will not be viable once they arrive and someone in the Postal Service made a BIG mistake. Chicken ggs labeled HAZMAT??? What is THAT about? I ship about 5 - 15 dozen eggs a week and now I am concerned.

Anyone have this trouble with the USPS? Has anyone tried UPS? At least UPS guarantees 4 day delivery with ground transport at the same cost of the USPS Priority (which is supposed to be 2 -3 days, but there is no guarantee of timely delivery.)

Look forward to your responses.

Holy Smokes!
ep.gif
...hope your postal person is a good one and will tell you what happened...I haven't shipped anywhere near that many eggs or recieved that many either but have never heard of such a thing...you do gotta love that 2-3 day delivery thing with no guarante though
gig.gif
only a government agency could have that type of business

Have shipped hundreds every year no trouble yet. Did you have health paper work with the eggs? If not maybe thats the reason for the hazmat.

I ship all eggs thru USPS a few shippment have been more than 4 days, but most are under 3 days even to Alaska.

i would definately be asking the postal inspector why they were open and why they were deemed hazmat and i'd be flipping on someone.

i have never had a prob with them but i ship mine with state vet lab reports for their most recent PT and AI negative test results. i do forget sometimes to send it but if i do i can email a copy but i've never had them opened or inspected. i have had the lab paper fall out and the postal service mail them back to me which i thought was odd but everything has always made it who i was sending it too.

were any of the eggs broken and leaking? that's the only thing i can think of but i have gotten them in leaking and noone has opened it or said anything. just they gave em to me in garbage bags and said i'm sorry but u got broke eggs.

Amazingly, all arrived in perfect condition -- not a single egg broken! Aged, but looking pretty.

I can't see why lack of a health certificate could cause the eggs to be labeled HAZMAT. I called the HAZMAT info center but they were closed. Will call again tomorrow to get their take on this.

UPS has a 4 day guarantee and the cost is the same. I also like that the eggs can be tracked. But what shape will they get there in? Will UPS handle them carefully, I wonder?

Quote:
Hatching Eggs ship without paper work,can be a heath risk, so they think.

I ship thru UPPS with tracking, extra cost less than a dollar.

Quote:
If shipping hatching eggs without proper paper work, I would be concerned. They maybe cracking down, as most State have laws about shipping Hatching eggs.

I just opened a UPS account. I will find out what the rules are about shipping eggs, but I have searched the governments HAZMAT sight and there is nothing listed regarding shipping of eggs. The Postal Service employee I spoke with was just shocked, and is having a supervisor call me tomorrow. There are no published mailing restrictions or conditions regarding eggs. They are not on the restricted list (day old chicks and adult poultry are.)

This is just perplexing.

If it is a matter of paper work, then the eggs should not have made it to their destination at all, and been sent back to me -- they should not have been sent ground with a HAZMAT designation. HAZMAT just doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom