Question about show birds and molting

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sal*y*Luz, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Sal*y*Luz

Sal*y*Luz New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    This is my first post. My 8 yr old son is showing a couple of Light brown dutch bantams at our county fair the 3rd week of Jan. (2013). We are very, very, new to understanding showing chickens and even some of the basics of poultry. He has an almost yr. old male/female pair. They both seem to have a lot of shabby looking feathers and I am concerned that if it is molting will it be done in the next month and if it isn't what should we do to help them look better. They pullet was laying about 2x's a week for about two months, but stopped about a month ago (We live in Florida). They are eating Mannapro showbird feed, with handfuls of meal worms, black sunflower seeds, and left over fruits and veggies. They are up off the ground usually and put in a grassy run a few hours a day. Any thoughts or resources would be great. Thank you

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Have you treated them for mites/lice? If not, that will help as much as anything. 5% Sevin is very good. I use it on the cocks once every 4 weeks or so.

Good luck with the show. You'll learn alot by doing it. It also helps to watch others at the show and ask questions.

3. Sal*y*Luz

Sal*y*Luz New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    I haven't actually seen any mites, so didn't treat...but will as a precaution. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by