Question about Show Quality/Exhibition Partridge Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newbarredrockandsilkiemom, Aug 26, 2010.

1. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

newbarredrockandsilkiemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Hi, I got what I was told was 2 Partridge Rock Hens today and one is absolutely beautiful and is a darker color than the other. I'll get pictures in a little bit but I was wondering if anybody had any that was exhibition quality that they could post a pic of. My daughters are in 4H and if I'm going to have chickens, I'd like to know if they are a good enough quality to show and do well in 4H. I have another daughter who wants to show APA Shows, and to be honest, I'd like to as well.

Thanks for any and all help![​IMG]

The hens have dark colored legs and here's pics of the hen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Where did she come from originally?

I have no idea. This girl is from a hatchery - the feathering is different around the head.

[​IMG]

excuse the creepy looking eye...

[​IMG]

3. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    I don't know where she came from originally. I traded a boer goat for some chickens already laying. I suppose some hatchery. I'll email the lady and find out. I think she's beautiful and I was told she goes broody frequently. I wanted her so she could hatch some barred rock chicks for me..[​IMG]

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Partridge Rocks are to have yellow legs yours appear to be hatchery stock they should lay well and they need better lacing I don't know if mine are good enough to show but they are pretty and have started off as excellent layers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Here is a "close up" picture of her lacing and the other hens lacing. I would like for you to please show me an up-close picture of what you mean by better lacing. I'm new to chickens and don't know what it is supposed to look like.

Thanks for your help!:d

The first pic is the lighter hen but she has dark legs too

[​IMG]

The next 2 are pics of the darker hen, she was harder to get pics of..lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    by better lacing they mean more defined between black and brown. are you in belville IL ? there is an APA show in Highland Nov 6. It is a great show and the people are super friendly.

7. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Just from looking at the pics I don't think they are pure Rocks the body shape isn't good and the leg color is way off but I'm not good at figuring out mixes. They are a partridge color and it is so pretty I hope she makes a good sitter for you. If you are interested in purebreds go to that show close to you what an opportunity to see good birds.

8. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    The lady I got them from got them from a lady who also had Ameracauna (sp) chickens as well. I figured that's what the daddy was. I don't care, the lady told me she already went broody 3 times this year so I am giving her time to adjust then when she wants to go broody, I'll let her hatch some Barred Rock chicks.

I live in Belleville WV, just outside of Parkersburg and south of Marietta. I do know it is VERY hard to find breeders with show quality chickens around here. Most of the people here have gotten their stock from hatcheries... So, I guess my oldest daughter won't be showing any standard breed chickens..[​IMG]

Thanks you all for your help, it is GREATLY appreciated. Even though she's a cross, I feel she's beautiful anyway:D

Michele

9. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    around here a lot of 4-hers show hatchery stock. at our county fair they tend to look at the conditioning of the bird more than anything in the 4-h category. contact your state APA youth rep I'm sure they will help you find a breeder.

10. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I agree with Muddyhorse pick out a breed from a hatchery that you really like. If there are no breeders close to you Cackle and McMurray are great places to start. My 4-H kids got birds from those places and did great at our fair if your kids decide to get serious then go the breeder route. I would try and go to some of the Poultry shows close to you for the fun of it you never know who you could meet that might give you a helping hand too. Nothing better than getting a good sitting hen worth their weight in gold.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by