Question about showing and spurs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MrsChickendad, Sep 20, 2011.

1. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Got a question about my Ameraucana wheaten boy I am getting ready to take to the Michigan Fowl Fest in a couple weeks. He did well at the spring show (Best AOSB) but has lost a spur. How big of a deal is this? He's is good condition otherwise.

Should the spur caps be removed when getting them ready for show? If so, how far ahead?

2. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Most of the time a judge will not have a problem if the spur is removed, especially on older birds. The important thing is that he can tell there was a spur. Sometimes I will cut off a spur for the judges benifit if I think he will get hammered when he tries to pick up the bird.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What a great question. Something I have never thought about.

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    From my experiences the judge will not care as long as they can see there was a spur there at one time.. I pop the spur off all my cockbirds to about 1/2" long. If it bleeds just have a piece of chalk ready and you are set to go.

5. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Thanks for the responses. I'm just getting started showing chickens, but showed dogs many years ago. I did take the spur caps off my older cockbird, and he has grown new ones. The younger one I just prepped by blunting the points and cleaning the spurs up with a Dremel grinder. They seem to act like the spur is tender with the cap removed, so I thought perhaps to let them harden up for a week or so before a show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by