Question about sick rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sommrluv, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I have a dutch doe who is sitting in one corner of her cage, holding her head tilted upright. She seems more pink around her nostrils and mouth and is breathing heavy.

She also in the last hour or two has started chewing...like air.

Her eyes are glazed over and she seems to just be staring off into space. If you startle her, she moves and goes back to normal, she even started eating at one point and than resumed the staring/rocking.

It's only been since this afternoon.

It's also possible she is pregnant. She was exposed to a buck about 4 weeks ago, and again 2 weeks ago as I felt nothing palpating and she was receptive to the buck both breedings. Any ideas?

-Summer (thanks in advance)

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear about your rabbit, how old is she? Could she have had a stroke?

3. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I am unsure of her age. We purchased her as a breeding doe for meat stock.

I don't want her to sit in there suffering.

It's funny you say stroke because that's just what it seems like. is that a common problem in rabbits?

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I honestly don't know if stroke is common, I'm just now considering breeding meat rabbits.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Go post something in the Backyardherds forum.. They will be able to help you. [​IMG]

6. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    When she started I thought maybe she was in early labor, but I'd never seen a bun that stressed so I just assumed she hadn't taken.

Well, 40 minutes ago I found five chilly kits on the wire. I got them warmed up and made a nest in the bos and she's still panting so hopefully more to come! I've watched her give birth before...she just popped them out, so I guess this was a little rougher for her.

Hopefully she feels better soon. [​IMG]

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    wow that is great you were so good at taking care of your rabbit that you caught her in labor. You should try to not touch babies but you had to because she did not have nest box. Anyways good luck

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Touching them doesn't do as much as people think they do. The mother won't reject them because of our scent like a wild bird will.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am glad I read the whole thing first!!! I was gonna say, you have a bunny in labor FOR SURE. Their actions are strange at best when in labor. And please do continue to handle the kits. Rabbits can be socialized at a very early age. Check for fat bellies. They usually only feed once or twice a day. Make sure mama has plenty of pellets and timothy hay available too. Free choice feeding is what she needs right now. And CONGRATS!!!

10. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    So Debi, a rabbit in labor, acts like a broody hen? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by