Question about siding for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kuntrychick, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    My hubby bought some resaw lumber to put on as siding for the coop. Gonna out the rough side facing out I really like the rustic natural wood weathered look. I know it takes time for wood to get weathered & darker.

This guy down the road said to mix kerosene & burnt motor oil & use it to stain the wood on the outside. I was thinking that might look good to make the wood not look so new, but I was concerned about the fumes from it hurting the chickens It would only be on the outside rough cut wood & it would be a day or two before they would even go in that coop. Is that ok? Or should I do something else?

2. Chucken

Chucken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    NorCal SF East Bay
    Sounds toxic to me. Try a wash oif vinegar on a test piece. I've heard that vinegar will turn wook silver gray.

3. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    It'll weather naturally very nice [​IMG]

4. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I googled kerosene and motor oil stain. I think I would pass on that.

5. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Um yeah...think I'll pass on that one.

6. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I would not worry about it. It is outside afterall. And he is right. Is is a very good deep penetrating stain. I prefer red diesel and new motor oil though. Vinegar will actually remove the oxidation of the wood which is what you are looking for.

The rough sawn lumber may cup twist and warp if you dont treat it with something. Unless it is cedar or redwood.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I use old motor oil to treat the wood deck in my tractor wagon that I use for hauling stuff around. Firewood, dirt, rock, lumber, etc. I inherited the wagon and had to replace the wood deck, when the wood rotted out in less then 10 years, I replaced it again and treat it every few years with the used motor oil. It has been holding up fine for over twenty years now.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just stained a new building with a combination stain/urethane(outside only) and painted the inside with a zero VOC primer. Moved the birds in a few days later - no problems.
    Some was plywood, some was pine, some was treated lumber but the pecan stain and urethane made it look much more uniform.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i thought both things are flamable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by