Question about Silkie Chicken???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by clheck28, May 30, 2008.

1. clheck28

clheck28 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    I currently have leg horns, plymouth rock and sex link chickens. I ordered 5 americaunas and 3 blue cochins BUT I just found out that my 1 blue cochin is really a silkie bantam chicken. She is either a white or a buff silkie bantam. Anyway, my question is....will my other chickens hurt her? About what size will she be? Will she be much smaller than the other chickens? The babies she is with now seem fine with her and cuddle with her when it is nap time. I just want to make sure she won't get hurt. Also, it is my understanding that they don't really roost...is there something special I should do for her so she can sleep comfortably at night? Thanks for any input!!!

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Actually, my silkies roost , but only about 6" off the ground. Still, they like to be up off the shavings. You may find that she gets picked on and chased by the older ones, I have to keep mine in a seperate pen from my big girls, but over time they are getting along better. I guess you'll have to see how it goes, you could always make your silkie a house chicken!

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have 4 silkies and all are in with my standards. They get along just fine, no pecking or fighting. As far as size, they are bigger than my bantams, smaller then my standards, about the size of my cochin. Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Sorry to interupt, but you guys had mentioned about Silkies not roosting or roosting a few inches only up??? I never knew this...what do they prefer???
    Thanks. [​IMG]

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    4 out of my 6 silkies sleep on the pine shavings in their cages. Some silkies just prefer not to roost. Don't worry about it.

6. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:OK thanks... [​IMG]

7. clheck28

clheck28 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Thank you everyone for the input. I was worried about this little lady since I don't know that much about silkies. I have been doing research since I found out she is a silkie but I was worried about the other girls picking on her. She is going to either be buff or white and we named her Blackie. She is so cute. Thanks, again, for everyone's help.

8. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Quote:we've got a 2 x 4 screwed to 6" wooden blocks.
    (Not very high-tech)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by