Question about silkie eggs in incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ASweetHeart, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ASweetHeart

ASweetHeart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    I have 19 "silkie" eggs in incubator. I have the humidity set at about 69, give or take. Temp has been about 99.5-100.5. It's day 22, still no hatches. I snuck a random one out and candled, there was movement.

Should I adjust the heat or anything? I have 2 thermometers in there, both are reading about the same. Wondering if maybe they are both off? For some reason I was thinking they would hatch around day 19-20. I've tried threatening to eat them if they don't hurry up and hatch, but I don't think they are listening;)

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Was the humidity that high all the time?

3. ASweetHeart

Oct 3, 2011
    Nope. Not until lock down. Want to say it was about 35-40 before, if I remember correctly.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Hmm. maybe your thermometer is off a bit. You don't really have to raise that humidity until you have a pip. I hope they start hatching soon!

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

If you saw movement, don't give up! Even if you don't see movement, don't give up. The don't move much at this stage. Are your thermometers at the bottom, top or middle of the egg? I believe 99.5 at the very bottom is recommended. If it was a little cool, they will hatch a little late. Hope all goes well! [​IMG]

6. ASweetHeart

Oct 3, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!

I thought I needed to raise the humidity at lockdown......hopefully if my chickens will ever start laying I'll get this incubation thing down to a science. ANd then have more baby chickens....and more baby chicks...and more baby chickens!! Muhahaha!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  7. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks!

I thought I needed to raise the humidity at lockdown......hopefully if my chickens will ever start laying I'll get this incubation thing down to a science. ANd then have more baby chickens....and more baby...and more baby chickens!! Muhahaha!!

I see you're a chicken math expert!!

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Most people do just raise it right at lockdown, but if your humidity or temperature may have been a little off, it's best to wait for a pip or at least that night of lockdown, right before bed, before you raise that humidity. It gives them a little extra time to lose some of that water if they need to.

9. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    [​IMG] Here is hoping they are just a little late. Movement is GOOD, don't give up yet!

10. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    My first hatch did not pip until day 24... I thought they must have all stopped developing. Alas, they all hatched on their own at their own pace. Hoping yours pip soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by