Question about silkie eggs in incubator...

ASweetHeart

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
I have 19 "silkie" eggs in incubator. I have the humidity set at about 69, give or take. Temp has been about 99.5-100.5. It's day 22, still no hatches. I snuck a random one out and candled, there was movement.

Should I adjust the heat or anything? I have 2 thermometers in there, both are reading about the same. Wondering if maybe they are both off? For some reason I was thinking they would hatch around day 19-20. I've tried threatening to eat them if they don't hurry up and hatch, but I don't think they are listening;)

Nope. Not until lock down. Want to say it was about 35-40 before, if I remember correctly.

Hmm. maybe your thermometer is off a bit. You don't really have to raise that humidity until you have a pip. I hope they start hatching soon!

If you saw movement, don't give up! Even if you don't see movement, don't give up. The don't move much at this stage. Are your thermometers at the bottom, top or middle of the egg? I believe 99.5 at the very bottom is recommended. If it was a little cool, they will hatch a little late. Hope all goes well!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks!

I thought I needed to raise the humidity at lockdown......hopefully if my chickens will ever start laying I'll get this incubation thing down to a science. ANd then have more baby chickens....and more baby chicks...and more baby chickens!! Muhahaha!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks!

I thought I needed to raise the humidity at lockdown......hopefully if my chickens will ever start laying I'll get this incubation thing down to a science. ANd then have more baby chickens....and more baby...and more baby chickens!! Muhahaha!!

I see you're a chicken math expert!!

Most people do just raise it right at lockdown, but if your humidity or temperature may have been a little off, it's best to wait for a pip or at least that night of lockdown, right before bed, before you raise that humidity. It gives them a little extra time to lose some of that water if they need to.

My first hatch did not pip until day 24... I thought they must have all stopped developing. Alas, they all hatched on their own at their own pace. Hoping yours pip soon!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom