Question about silkie gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LTygress, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    As silkies get older, do the males and females develop a noticeable difference in size?

I had two that I posted pics of here a while back and everyone assumed they were both roos.

But now I'm noticing that one is significantly larger than the other. They live together, so they have the same diet. And they were hatched on the same day, so they're definitely the same age. But one is wider, taller, and thicker than the other now. They're just under 3 months old, so could this be a sign of a gender difference?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the chicks could be a bantam and the other one a large fowl silkie.

3. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Nope, they are both bantams.

4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Males do get bigger. Post some more pictures of them. It's always easier to tell with pictures [​IMG]

5. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    I will try to get some this weekend. I have been fighting a bad sinus infection with a fever that has gone on for two days now. Because of that, I don't want to get anywhere near my girls right now! I'm even enlisting the nieces to feed them and collect eggs.

But I will be back up soon, and I'll try to get lots of photos.

6. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Photos, as requested.

Remember, both of these silkies are the same exact age. The brown bantam hen that you will see pictured with them actually hatched them out and raised them. They were hatched June 1st, so they will be three months old on Sunday.

It's VERY clear to see the size difference between the two. I've tried looking for streamers off the back of their heads, but it's really hard to see much of a difference at all! One of them does have more "fuzz" coming in around the comb area though (the smaller one), but it doesn't actually completely cover the comb area. The bigger one seems to have a very clear spot of skin right there though.

And even though the smaller one is hunched down feeding in a couple of pics, you can still see the height of her body alone isn't nearly as big as the other one. Would they develop size differences, based on gender difference, at just 2.5 months old? Or would it be later on?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    I don't understand the purpose in posting that link. Are you trying to point out the size difference between bantam and large fowl? Or hen and rooster?

There is NO POSSIBILITY that these two are bantam and large fowl. I hatched them both out. They came from BANTAM EGGS. Neither of them came from a large egg. When they hatched, they were the same exact size. Growing up, they have mostly been the same size. It has only been the last few weeks that the difference in their size became so prominent. They are BOTH bantams. I even have photos of them taken at 6 weeks old where they were still the same size. The size difference is a VERY recent development. They did not start out as two different sizes. And I do raise both bantam and large fowl chickens of other breeds. So I'm pretty familiar with the size difference of the two, and it is easy to see the difference WHEN THEY HATCH. But these two were not different sizes when they hatched. They were the same.

I have a bantam cochin right now that is three weeks old, and he's the same size as ameraucana large-fowl that hatched on Friday and Saturday. I even put them in the same brooder since they're all the same size. The only way you see a difference right now, is that the bantam chick has many more feathers grown out, and they are longer too. Otherwise, you'd never know that they were three weeks apart. Bantams are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller when they hatch.

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, then pictures of their comb might help.

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well the big one has got a pretty small comb, so that looks like a female. I can't quite tell with the smaller silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by