question about silkie run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kasey08, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    i have 1 blue roo 2 blue 2 black 2 splash hens(if they all turn out to be hens) in a 6ft by 6ft run 4ft tall. is that a good size? and the roo is the dad to the 4 chicks can i breed them back to him or do i need a new roo?

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    6 ft by 6ft run should be ok for them. How big is the coop too?
    Not sure on the breed question. I will leave that one for the experienced breeders to chime in on.

3. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    oh found out its an 8X8. the coop is prolly 4X3

4. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Yes, you can breed them back to him. It's linebreeding.

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Just don't breed brother and sister.

6. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Quote:why would that matter?

7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I know someone else will say something, but all i know is its kinda like when people get jiggey with their siblings its inbreeding and their babies get all messed up... [​IMG] Or something close to that??

8. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Inbreeding depression

Inbreeding depression is a decline in reproductive performance, ability to survive and other characteristics associated with fitness as a result of inbreeding. It occurs as a result of "uncovering" deleterious recessive genes by making them homozygous and is a consequence of the evolution of dominance of loci concerned with fitness characters. The direction of the change is towards the value of the more recessive alleles (Falconer 1981).

9. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    but kids can mate with parents? thats odd

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't care. Even if a cockerel was raised by his genetic-mother, both will eventually 'pull apart' on their family ties and the cockerel will most likely become interested in mating any hen around him, even the hen who raised him. If bred too closely for a number of years, (I'm under the impression) there can be genetic defects present in offspring. To us, it seems odd and to many, a little gross, but it is what it is.

When a rooster is old enough to start mating, it's not a 'kid' anymore. [​IMG] Chickens don't usually have the heirarchy set up as 'mommy, daddy, and babies'. Brother to sister mating is more frowned upon, but parent to sibling is supposedly better. Moreso, the lesser of two evils.

This is my understanding, anyway...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by