1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about silkies, crossing colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SouthernCalBeachChick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SouthernCalBeachChick

SouthernCalBeachChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    I have 2 black silkies & 2 partridge showgirls all about 6 weeks old. I've been offered a 6 week old bearded silkie rooster from a breeder. they've been 'sex tested' by a lab.
    My question is color. They have black, partridge, lavender or splash. What would be the best cross with my flock?
    I think black & partridge would produce black or partridge chicks with a mix of silkies & showgirls
    Doesn't black & splash produce 100% blue?
    What would you get with a partridge/ splash cross, a black/ lavender & partridge/ lavender cross?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. SouthernCalBeachChick

SouthernCalBeachChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    Let me know if this should be posted in a different forum. Thanks!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No, this is the correct place. For your partridge, get a partridge cockerel; for your blacks get black, lavender or splash, depending on what colours of chicks you want to raise: blacks; blacks & lavenders; or black, blue & splash.

Yes, black to splash will give 100% lue; next generation you can add blacks or splash depending on the colours you breed together.

Black to lavender will give you all black chicks that carry a copy of lavender (splits); breed these back to the lavender and you will get both black and lavenders.

I strongly recommend against breeding lavender to splash or either splash or lavender to partridge. You will get a lot of non-standard colours that don't quite make the grade. Work with recognised varieties for a year or two before venturing into AOV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by