Question about silkie's health

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1027, Oct 18, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Hey all I've had 2 Silkie hens and both have died of similar circumstances. The first one was a buff silkie. She was fine, then she started keeping her head down and would just stand in one place for hours. Her breathing became labored and after a few days she started to lose her balance and would fall over when she tried to walk. She then stopped walking and would just lie there. We had to pick her up put her into a small box and make her eat and drink. After about a day of this she died. Now about two or three days ago another silkie I had started acting the same way she would just stand there lower her head and close her eyes. When I let the other birds out to free range she would be fine but as soon as she got back into the coop she lower her head and close her eyes.

When I got in from work yesterday she would walk around a little bit but you could walk right up to her and pick her up. Usually she won't let you pick her up. You could set her down and she would just stand there. This morning I go to check on her and she was dead.

The buff silkie was about a year old and died a few months back The Partridge silkie was about 1 and a half years old? Neither hen was in the same cage and they both came from different breeders. None of the other birds that were with them has shown any signs of being sick. Does anyone know whats going on with my silkies?

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Treat for coccidiosis. Watch for bloody diarrhea. If you have a vet who is game, bring some poo to your vet and have them do a fecal float. I would also call my local extension agent and have my flock tested for pollorum immediately, sooner if possible. If the poo is pasty and white, this might be an indication.

3. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    There was no bloody poop her poop looked fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by