Question about silkies-PQ or BQ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daze333, Jan 14, 2011.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hi all,
    I am just getting into silkies and trying to collect a decent bq or borderline sq flock to breed. I am learning about the dqs too.
    I was wondering if I have a nice quality silkie, nice toes, nice full crest but the color has leakage, do I call them BQ or PQ? I understand that most people would call it a pet because of the fault in color, but these are really nice looking birds.
    Thanks for your help.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do you have any pictures of the birds?

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm under the impression that a Silkie with leakage (depending, usually, upon the color or even severity of the individual) is considered a PQ. I believe leakage is usually passed on. I have the same issue. A beautiful girl with a perfect round crest, nice type, great feet, but very noticeable color leakage. I call her PQ.

That's just my take on it. Although I'm interested to see what others say.

Edited because I read wrong.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:Yes here are pictures of them. They are two blue pullets with brown leakage. They are pretty but I want to breed true colors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the last one you can see the arc across their shoulders of tan. Please let me know what you think.

5. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    PS when they hatched they looked like a partridge chick.

6. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Where they from a Lavender of Split Lavender breeding? I have found the when they is a Split Lavender background that the chicks sometimes display a Chipmunk pattern at hatch, then feather in Blue. Personally I would consider them PQ. I would not use them for breeding, if I were going for Show stock. The first bird also has undersirable wing carriage (looks like a young male too)so that with the leakage would be her ticket to a pet home if it were me. They both look to have light foot feathering on the middle toe, which I would not keep, unless they had other qualities that were Excellent! Don't get fooled into the big crest, there is more to a Silkie than that, plus the standard calls for a Medium crest. JMO

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    The breeder said they were out of her black pen.

8. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Depends on the background of the Blacks. if they were split to Lav, and two such birds were crossed, then that is where you might be seeing the results. The birds look Blue in the picture. If they are true Black, and have this leakage, don't keep them. Also if there were Black to Black for a few gens, they would not be hatching out chipmunks. Maybe there are dark blues, that look black in the breeding pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by