Question about Size when Building Homemade Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlpineSpringsRanch, Jun 12, 2011.

1. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    I have been getting VERY ambitious in the DIY department. Have built my own bed, have to finish painting my 8x8 coop later today, and am already designing closet organizers!! So I have been looking into building my own incubator. Right now my girls are too little and aren't going to be laying anytime soon I don't think (Standard Cochins / Plymouth Rocks - assortment of 6 weeks old and 3 weeks old).

My basic question is...whats better, bigger or smaller as far as temperature stabilization?

Lets say I wanted to have a 600 egg capacity (absolutely hypothetical...theoretically I would only be hatching a few at a time...of course I started with ONLY 9 chickens and now my count is at 31ish...and I went shopping for more yesterday (but resisted) [​IMG] ). Would it be better for me to build two 300 egg incubators or one 600 egg incubator??

My thoughts are the smaller one would get to temperature faster after being opened for any reason (adding / removing eggs for candling or to switch to hatch out trays). On the other hand, it seems a larger incubator would be less affected by a door opening.

Been browsing the incubator plans and has my head spinning with ideas.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Its never big enough! [​IMG] Even two or three are never enough!

3. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Well then I would ask...whats the largest cabinet incubator you guys have personally seen (excluding walkin incubators used by the hatcheries [​IMG] )??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by