1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION ABOUT SIZE

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sixshooter60, Jan 29, 2012.

1. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Ok I know it probably has been said a million times on here but i cant seem to find it . I have seen alot of folks posting about jumbo browns which from what i have read on here they are just Pharaoh that are bigger .i have read on here that a normal Pharaoh weighs from 31/2 to 5 ozs and that a jumbo can weigh up to a pound.. Ok what i would like to know is what is the cut off weight that determines what is considered normal and what is jumbo.. i have what i thought is normal Pharaoh and i have weighed them with digital scales and some have tipped the scales at 8 ozs.. so would they be called jumbo or just normal... just curious .. thanks

2. onewithquail

onewithquail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    I have Jumbo brown and they weigh adverage of 12 oz's but I have had some get larger, just not as large as 1pd. that would be huge in any circumstance. As for yours I would consider them normal, but as for a cut off point.. I think it would be around 8 to 10oz's, not sure though, others may have a different opinion. Also I have seen normal Cortunix weigh out at 11oz's and that came from a small bird of approx 6 oz's. So really I think it's all about selective breeding...Again, others can and may have different opinions, I guess it's just up to yourself to decide what you think....

3. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply . i was just curious and really thought i would get more replies as it seems lots have both normal and jumbo..

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Hey brother! I don't have jumbos...yet, so didn't want to give you an opinion answer, try to just give facts as I know them...hopefully some of the Jumbo breeders will get in here and weigh in.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I consider Jumbos 12 oz or more in my books. 10 oz is ok but the more the better. I tend to cull under 10oz.

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Any bird that makes my breeder pens must weigh 350 grams @ 8 weeks.... I know several good breeders that want 300 grams at 6 weeks to make the cut.... These are jumbos.

7. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Quailady has the biggest. I read it somewhere on the internet..

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    No, I don't have the biggest. There are more people than just me that work on size. I simply just wrote what I look for in my breeders. Lots of selective breeding and culling to get the size there. You guys do that as well I am sure.

9. Apatedolos

Apatedolos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    What kind of quail is jumbo? I have got some pharaoh that are different colors. Are jumbos nice? Mine are really really nice.

10. Shicken Chitt

Shicken Chitt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Carywood/ Cocolalla Id.
    I would like to buy some big quail. Who has them for sale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by