Question About SL Wyandottes My DW Ordered Some..............

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tackyrama, Jan 9, 2009.

1. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I have read this breed has trouble with poopy buts. Is this true? If so, how bad? We didn't find out til after she ordered. Hope we didn't make a wrong move!

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    This is the first I've heard of that issue... I'd be interested to find out what wyandotte owners have to say. I ordered some as well... hoping to see them next week.

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

All mine have had PUFFY butts. Maybe that's what you meant? And frankly, it's considered quite attractive in a Wyandotte.

4. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I don't remember where I read about it. They supposedly have very fluffy butt feathers prone to pooping up.

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Seriously, I have never noticed a problem with any I have had over the years.

6. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Quote:That makes me feel better. They are almost too gorgeous to not have any problems.

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Mine don't seem to have any more of a problem with the occasional poopy butt than any other breeds I own. If anything, I think my Silkies have more of a problem with poopy butt than anyone. Wyandottes do have a lot of puffy fluff on their behinds, so if one happens to have an intestinal problem, you'll notice pretty quick.

8. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Thanks Stacey! I'm feelin' better n' better! How about GL Polish. Any problems with them? She ordered some of those too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got a couple of very fluffy butty SL and GL wyandottes, and they have no problem with poopy butts so far. My barred rocks seem to have a bit of an issue with this, but it doesn't cause any problems. Occasionally I'll see one with a klingon, but it always comes off in the dust bath.

I haver silver-laced and buff-laced polish, and a white one, and I have no problems with them, except they're half blind and need their crests trimmed occasionally so they can get around. My buff doesn't have as much crest as the other two, so she's never needed a haircut, but she isn't as cute, either. Because of their large crests hanging over their eyes, they're prone to hawks and other predators. I haven't lost any yet, though.

10. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Takyrama- did you order from Ideal for a 14th delivery date?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by