question about small orders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barnrat, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am new to the chicken world and am looking forward to raising my first batch of chicks. I only want a small flock (6 in all) of pullets only, and I hoped to get them at my local Tractor Supply store, but they sold out before I got there. I decided to order from Ideal, and when I got the email confirming the order there was a notice that they might send an unspecified number of males with the chicks for warmth and/or comfort.

I really don't want roosters, so I asked them to not do that, but now I'm worried about whether this will endanger the chicks. Any advice on this would be welcome!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm ordering 12 from them--but I'm doing it in June (mid June)...so hopefully, they will be okay...I would suggest letting them give you the extra males & then selling them, if you don't want them...?

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Have you checked out My Pet Chicken? They sell "just a few chicks" as opposed to having to make a minimum order of 25.

I've not ordered from them but several other members have. Hopefully one of them will see this and comment.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I got 5 chicks from mpc. They all got here safe. They packed a hand warmer in with them to keep them warm. We are out in the country and have a very good post office. They called us at 5 am. All of them were the right breeds to. I would order again if I wasn't getting a incubator. The only downside is that the shipping is high.

Good luck!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I ordered 15 from Mypetchicken. They're due tomorrow! Whoo hoo for me!

They have been really great to work with. I can't comment on the quality of the chicks as I haven't seen them yet, bit the customer service has been great! Plus they sex bantums for you.

I totally recommend them!

CG

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I can't comment on the quality of the chicks as I haven't seen them yet, bit the customer service has been great!

The chicks I got were very nice and the customer service was great.​

7. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    i previously ordered 25 from mcmurray with no problems

just today i got 5 from petchicken

no problems

8. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I ordered just four pullets from Ideal and was told they would include a *few* males for warmth. Well in all they sent 16 total!! [​IMG] So right after I picked them up from the post office I posted the extra on craigslist. I didnt worry about selling them, I wanted them gone ASAP! I just gave them away. But my babies are right at a month old now and still doing great! I would def buy from them again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by