Question about snakes and my Coop

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
Been reading a few threads about snakes and I want to know if snakes can get through or climb up hardware cloth?
My area of concern is right at the top above the door and all around under the roof there is a gap 4" all around that I was going to just use chicken wire on. It's 6' high off the ground.
OurCoop2.jpg

Snakes will slither up around branches, poles an the like. They will go under fences and such, and can only climb or reach half of their length. So if a snake is 4 feet long, it can only reach over 2 feet of fencing. They can not slither up the sides of fencing such as yours. From what I see in your photo, it looks pretty snake proof to me! Just make sure there are no holes along the bottom and you will be safe from snakes. You did a fantastic job there!
smile.png

From the picture it looks as if it has a solid wood floor. If so, and it is attached to the coop structure you should not have a problem with burrowing and digging predators.

OK, Thanks!
It's set on pavers, but just the outside edge...14" pavers with the center area to have a little sand. I still might hardware cloth in that area as you now have me imagining snakes dropping out of the tree on the roof and getting in that way
lol.png

Quote:
THATS the picture that made me ask the question in the first place! But now, looking closer, might he have gotten a head start by using that box? What's he hanging by? his fangs?
lol.png

It is best to keep the area around the chicken coop clear of objects. They will use these objects to work their way up and get in thru places. Debris also attracts snakes to hide in and hunt for rodents which seem to love chicken coops! If you keep it clean, you should have no trouble.

Back
Top Bottom