question about something i saw at the lake yesterday.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, May 18, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    we went to lake heyburn here in oklahoma yesterday and we saw something kind of odd on the way out..there was this small fenced in area with signs on it that said "us government property keep out" or something like that on it..it looked like a very small marshy area. it was odd because that was the only fenced in place like that. would anyone know what it was about? i called the lake office but they werent there so i figured maybe someone here might know.

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    What kind of fencing was it? Did it look permanent? How big an area? OOoohh maybe something landed there, and they're observing the spot.

3. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    it was a really tall chain link fence..the sign had a sort of shield on it with stars and stripes. all that was there was some cattails and it looked like on the ground, someone had rolled out some black plastic and it was filled with water..really marshy looking. it was a really small area. it looked like it had been there for a long time. my husband thought maybe there is some protected species of whatever that happens to reside in that little spot or something. [​IMG]

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    take pics this makes for a fun guessing game [​IMG]

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Maybe the lochness monster is in there not ireland. I knew they lied to us! [​IMG]

6. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    yeah i know, i am dying to go back and take a closer look..i called the office of tourism but they said that they didnt know and to call the army corps of engineers.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Probably cultivating a rare species of mosquito. Something idiotic like that! [​IMG]

8. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Is Lake Heyburn a man-made lake? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers did alot of lake building and such during the New Deal era. It might contain the valves and such.

Or maybe....there is a burried silo in there. I believe there is one here in MD in the town where a major Army Post is. Nobody knows...at least nobody will say. Hummmm

Pics next weekend.

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

or protecting a nesting site for some fish or bird or other critter.

10. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    yeah its manmade...but i called them and they said they didnt know. i guess ill never know at this rate haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by