Question about something on my chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    On the bottom of my three week old chicks there is something that runs along the bottom of there tummies. It is very prominent, is this normal. I don't know if it is a bone or if it is the tube that the eggs come out. I would try to look up the parts of the chicken on the internet but, I am sure I will just pull up things like chicken fryers and stuff for people to eat. I am a little concerned so if anyone know what this is I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    MIchelle [​IMG]

2. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Can you post a picture?

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I probably could tomorrow. It is just way to dark now. I will try but, I am not sure if you can see it in a pic or not. Do you know if there are any pics or diagrams I could look at that show the different parts of a chick.

Thanks,
    MIchelle

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think you may be feeling the chick's breast bone. You can feel it from just below their neck down toward their under belly. It should be midline and will feel like a hard edge. The "tube" for the egg to come out is interior and you will never be able to feel or see that part, kinda like a human's uterus.

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    are you taking about their equivalent to an umbilical cord? i have had that of few occasion with chicks where it was visible for a week or two while they grew out their feathers.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Ding, ding, ding, I think from what you describe nurse_turtle got it right. I felt one of my older birds today and it had it to, I don't know in a year how I didn't notice that large protrusion before. I guess it is because, they aren't fully feathered out. I had just felt it on a baby that passed away about two days ago so I was worried it was abnormal but, I think all is good and it is the breast bone. Sure would be nice if you could feel the egg duct then we would know if they were boys or girls. [​IMG] Wishful thinking.

They are three weeks old so no I am sure it isn't the umbilical cord.

Thanks Everyone,
    Michelle

7. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Be sure and post pictures of your chickens and we can help tell you which are girls and which are boys. At around 5-6 weeks old sexing is easier, but some breeds are very difficult to sex until they are much older.[​IMG]

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, I appreciate your concern. I feel pretty confident in the fact it is the breast bone. The little one that passed was born with a slipped tendon and really just didn't have much will to live. Even when I would hold her right next to the food she would only take a couple of bites. I just think she didn't have much will to live. When I felt that it just scared me but, none of the other chicks have shown any signs any problems other then the bone scare. [​IMG] If ya'll could help me find out if they are boys or girls that would be cool. I don't think you would have much luck though. They are only 3 weeks and they are mostly EEs and a couple of backyard mixes. I have my suspicions on certain ones being boys because, their bodies are larger and stalkier but, I really think it is to early to tell. I might post some pics when they are a little bit older. When do you suggest posting pics of EEs for sexing?

thanks,
    MIchelle

Quote:

9. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    EEs are harder, but there is a member "Illia" whom I trust to sex EEs. Send her a pm. She is very knowledgeable and helpful.

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by