question about sqatting for me but not for roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amyandkids, Aug 2, 2013.

1. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    ok so my golden comet started squatting for me 2 weeks ago then started giving me eggs a week later. my white leghorns started the squat a week and a half ago but only one started laying eggs 2 days ago. I'm so proud of my girls[​IMG]!! I have noticed they will not squat and chases my rooster away when he comes close to them, I do pet them and ruffle there feathers a bit when they squat for me, So I want to know if I am preventing them from squatting for him, maybe they think I'm doing the job so he don't need to[​IMG]? Thank you in advance!

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

They may just not like him or he may still be to immature to be a gentleman.

3. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    I thought it was sad he goes over and tap dances and puts his wings to the ground and the girls are so mean to him lol, poor little bugger! I was thinking if I stopped patting them they would have to start liking him!! But I love when they run over to me and want to get pet! Thank you so much!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Squatting is a sign of submission, not JUST providing an easy mount for the rooster.

I suspect your girls will eventually submit to your cockerel. They may stop squatting for you at some point, so don't feel disappointed if (when) that happens. Many of my older hens squatted for me when they were young but don't anymore.

I have two mature roosters and a few young ones; the hens rebuff the cockerels - the mature gals chase them and the young ones squawk and run to get away - and a couple of my senior gals refuse to let the not-dominant rooster mount them. (Of course, if he tries it around the dominant rooster, the latter kicks the former's butt. No mounting rights in HIS presence.)

5. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    Its good to know I shouldn't worry and ill have eggs to incubate at some point, I'm just so impatient! lol! Thank you

6. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    Just an update, I have still yet to see my rooster mate with my hens, but I decided to pop a few eggs in the bator 6 days ago and much to my surprise, they are fertile!! YAAYYYY!! So for how much time I spent in my coop ( a lot) never seen my hens allow him to mate them, they must like privacy lol. I was ready to get romantic music and candlelight dinners if they weren't progressing,,,. Hahahaha!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Why bother for 3 to 5 seconds of Rooster Lovin'?

:oops:

8. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by