1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about swollen neck on hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marie_martin, Apr 3, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I know I am going to sound really stupid, but I was holding my OEGB hen and rubbing her and under her neck looked swollen. I know that they have something there where their food goes to get crushed, can't think of what it is called. But I had never noticed it like that. It was huge and I could feel the feed in there as I rubbed it. Is that normal? I give her grit and she is on the ground so she can peck. My DH had given them crushed corn, I was not home and asked him to feed them, and he did not know. It was some that came with them when I bought them but I have not been giving it to them. Any suggestions? She seemed fine. Thanks.

Marie

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You were probably feeling her crop...the little ones don't need treats yet...they need to get used to their real food first...

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    She is not a little one. She is laying so she is older. They are OEGB's and I have had them a few weeks and she lays ever other day. So I don't think she is a baby. I was given the crushed corn by the person who sold her to me. I learned here to give her the layer pellets and that is what I have been giving. But DH fed them for me and gave them the crushed corn. I guess she ate a lot thinking she would not get anymore for a while. I am guessing that she will be fine. I have done some research since posting and I think she will be fine. Thanks for your responses though. I will let you know if it does not get better.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by