1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about temp Update: Coop finished!! :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lac1975, Jun 10, 2011.

1. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    My little chicks are running out of space in the brooder pen. I am going to start building today on their coop and will hopefully have it finished by tomorrow at the latest, and I really need to go ahead move them when it's done. My question is would they be able to stay in it overnight. I live north central Texas and temps have been in the lower to upper 90's during the day. Then they drop down to the lower 70's at night (at least right now). I won't have electricity in the coop and wouldn't be able to run a light at night. Would residual heat from during the day be enough for them to be okay? I am just really concerned because of the lack of space, and they are flapping around, etc. I don't want them hurting themselves or each other.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    hmm, how old are they? They really need the warm temps till they at least feather out...can you run an extension cord to the coop? They can't regulate their body temps, so 70 at night isn't enough if they are still very young.

3. lac1975

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    Most are about 4 wks or a little older and have quite a bit of feathers. Some still have down just on their heads. My banties are pretty well feathered but I planned on keeping them in the brooder pen because they are smaller (plus I plan on keeping them separate as adults anyway). I can try the extension cord but I don't know if it'll work.

I don't want them getting too cold. But I also don't want them to start pecking or stomping each other to death...

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    if it is getting to 70's you should be alright at 4 weeks...you figure, 95* the first week, 90* the 2nd, and so forth...around 4 weeks they should be alright...give it a try and see if they are all huddled together in the morning...if so, you may need to supplement the heat a bit, how many do you have?

5. lac1975

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    Minus the banties, I have 19 chicks.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They'll be fine if it's only getting into the 70's at night. Great way for them to acclimate. I've put 5 week olds outside without a lamp with the lows lower than that.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They should be fine.

8. lac1975

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    Thank y'all for the help! Don't feel quite as nervous about it now... I will just make sure I check on some before bedtime and make sure they're doing ok.

9. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I live in Colorado. I put my four week old outside with temps in the upper 80's during the day and 50's at night. No heat lamp, but they do have an insulated, draft free hen house to sleep in. They've been outside for about a week now, and they are doing great. Mine are all EE's and they were mostly feathered when we kicked them out of the garage.

10. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

When ours were 10 days we lost power and it was 65-70 in the coop. They didn't seem to mind-they walked around, ate, drank, etc and didn't even snuggle together. I had a makeshift heat thing in there from a thermacare wrap and they didn't snuggle up to it either. Yesterday am it was around 70 and they were acting perfectly normal. Even with a broody hen, chicks aren't kept warm 24/7 other than the first day or so I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by