Question about the APA Standard of Perfection

Baybrio

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Poplar Grove, IL
Hi folks,

As I'm learning about chickens many folks talk about breeding to the APA standards. My understanding is that these standards can be found in the APA Standard of Perfection. Occasionally folks will post those standards and I've read them when I could, but I find them somewhat difficult to understand. For example, when describing the standards for Buckeye's it seems many attributes are described as "medium". My question is does the standard show people what medium actually looks like?

When I was in 4-H we studied horse conformation. The books always showed a nicely conformed horse and a horse with all the faults listed in the book. While not perfect it helped. Does the APA book have something like this. Or even better, does it show photos of chickens with good examples of specific attributes next to one that is a poor example of that attribute?

Thanks

No, it does not show examples. Frankly, I am very disappointed in my purchase of the (expensive) color version of the book. The only colored thing there is ... is an artist's interpretation of the standard. There are no pictures of a real bird. No examples at all.
sad.png

I don't know what the cheaper version is like ... I am assuming it has no pictures at all (meaning the artist's).

Actually, in my opinion, the cheaper black and white standard is way better. The drawings in it, while not perfect, are a lot more accurate. The standard does list the defects and disqualifications in it, but it doesn't show what a medium back would be. My advice is to go to a show, and talk to a judge and ask him to show you a bird of the breeds you raise, that have a medium back, or what other traits you are wondering about.

David

In the ASoP (American Standard of Perfection) there are pictures of each breed and there varieties. They are a artists drawing of how he/she reads/translates the standard for that breed.
The word medium as a size, would be different for large fowl and bantam also from breed to breed.

CHris

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, think about it. You will get very good birds that are really close to the standard, right? But you'll never get a bird/s that are perfect. Breeders work towards getting the perfect bird. But thanks for your opion on the coloured version. I thought it was a little too expensive IMO.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was afraid the standard would not have examples. That's OK, its job is not to teach us newbies, but rather to list attributes.

I am especially appreciative of your description of the color version. The cost of the color version is significantly higher than the BW version and if it does not have actual photos showing great examples of the breeds it is probably not worth it for me.

I'll keep reading posts and trying to learn at poultry shows. Thanks again.

Baybrio,
I read the standard for the Buckeye and I would translate Medium as in proportion.
For the comb it says:

Pea; medium in size, firm and set closely on head.
I would read that as-
The bird should have a Pea comb that is in proportion in size with the rest of the birds head, firm and set closely on head.

Chris

Last edited:
I love the ameraucana description that says the eyes must be "expressive". WTH???

I guess I'll buy some falsies for the next show and teach my gals how to blink them.......
lau.gif

I would also look up who is doing well at shows with the variety of chicken you like. You can find this out a variety of ways. poultry Press always lists who wins what, and usually also has pics. Then when you find a particular breeder you like, call him/her or write and ask for some pics. Most reputable breeders will send you many pics of his/her breeding stock. Then you can see the characteristics as described.
Medium usually is sorta vague. Orpingtons are suppose to have MEDIUM size comb. And I have Buffs with huge combs and some with small combs. And both birds are from winning Exhibition breeders who's birds win shows. So I guess that is open to interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom