1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about the cat food thing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Wifezilla, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I read that you can give quail cat food to bump up the protein percentage of their food. No problem. I have a high quality cat food for my 3 fur balls and I already give the ducks some of it for a morning snack and they really like it. So I smashed some up and gave it to the quail in their treat cup. THEY WENT BANANAS!!! They LOVE it. They love it so much when they see me smashing up more (mortar and pestle) they wig out. 2 of them even try to climb in my hand when I try to put it in the cage. If they had their choice, they would eat that instead of their game bird feed.

This is what I gave them. http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/cats/rocky_mountain_feline_formula/

Despite
    their begging I am sticking to a little each day (yes, my English White BEGS! She stands in the empty treat cup and bobs up and down when I walk by. It's very pathetic actually [​IMG]).

Is there anything in this I should worry about? Anyone else have their quail act like the cat food is crack???

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I could not get one of 24 hens to even try the cat food. I bought dry cat food. maybe I should have been using wet food?
    Maybe the little fish shapes put them off. strange birds. They just about dismember a person for a band aid.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:This reminds me of that new movie "District 9" where the aliens "Prawns" acted like cat food was crack..it was funny. If you haven't seen it I recommend it if you like SciFi [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Not Sure How Much Is Too Much, But You Can Overload Their System With Protien And Cause Renal (kidney) Failure Which In Turn Causes Death--- Do Some Research And See If You Can Come Up With Anything

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd say as an occasional treat it's fine. My chickens in Austin always shared with the cats, much to the cats' dismay and disgust!

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The renal failure/too much protein thing is a total myth when it comes to people, but I do not know if it applies to quail. (I have been doing serious nutritional research over the last 3 years. This was one of the topics covered.)

Any googling on quail and renal failure brings up the case of a guy who ate a quail who had been munching on hemlock. His quail diner killed him! [​IMG] (Note to self...do not plant hemlock in the quail run)

The protein percent on the Taste of the Wild cat food is 44.

I guess for now I will give it as a treat despite my little SNowball's begging [​IMG]

Side note: When the ducks had free run of the back yard (before the hawk found us), there were a couple of occasions when someone left open the patio door. The ducks snuck in and ate all the cat food! [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    For Humans Research Rhabdomyelosis And Also "rabbit Starvation"---- It Can Be Fatal To Us, Tho Hard To Get To That State

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I know all about it. It was also part of my research, but that isn't a too much protein thing, that is a lack of essential fatty acids thing.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:OKEY DOKEY THEN...

10. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Feeding your quail cat food?
    I guess it would be ok, unless they start to meowing and chase mice.

My cat eats the dog food.
    The dog eats anything.
    My fish eat the cat food and my birds eat pretty much what I give them.
    Then you have the frogs that eat pinkie mice and crickets and sometimes each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by