Question about the death of a baby chick I had in April.

MelissaZeno

Chirping
6 Years
May 28, 2013
Vermont
When I first got my chicks I had 8 and in the second week my Buff Orpington chick stopped moving and eating. I seperated her from the rest and tried to get water down her throat with the save a chick in it. She kept opening her mouth like she was trying to breath and seemed unable to. When she tried to get up to move she would fall back down and she was unable to sleep and seemed so exhuasted. this went on for 3 to 4 days. When I picked her up she felt squashy and there was a crackling sound in her abdomen area. I was wondering if she may have had a ruptured yolk sack? Anyway I had to put her down because I hated seeing her suffering so much. The rest of the chicks were fine and have reaching laying age.

To me, it sounds like she may have aspirated some water while you were trying to get the save-a-chick in her. That description of the crackling sound is what makes me think that's what happened.
But, it may not have been that. Sometimes, for whatever reason, some chicks just don't make it, they fail to thrive. It could be environmental (though I'm guessing not since your others did fine), genetic or a number of other issues.

Last edited:
That's what I thought that she had got something caught in her throat. She had already been gasping opening and shutting her mouth before I tried giving her water. Because I had let the chicks play in my kitchen for a few days before she started having problems, but none of the other chicks showed any signs that she did.
Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom