Question about the HovaBator 1588.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamaboyd, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    For those of you that have the 1588, do you need an egg turner in it??? I found one on ebay for $110.25 and with shipping to up here, it would cost another $29.20 plus the duty tax. But that is much better than the the hovabator (not sure which model) selling at our local co-op store which is $169.99 without an egg turner and not including our wonderful gst and pst taxes [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No, you don't have to have a turner, you can just hand turn the eggs.

3. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Thanks Katy! Now another question: which is more preferred, the 1602 or the 1588 and what are the differences??

Oh, and has anybody ordered from Cutler Supplies??

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The 1588 is preset. You don't have to do anything. It is virtually plug n' play in concept. Add eggs and water and in 21 days you hatch.

The 1602 has a wafer and is harder to adjust. In an ideal situation you will always need a spare wafer on hand. You don't want it to go out on you mid hatch.

5. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Quote:So with the 1588, I will still have to hand turn the eggs though if I don't have an egg turner? Forgive me, I am all new to this!! [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    None of the bators in this class come with a turner installed. You have to turn them by hand if you don't buy a turner.

7. mamaboyd

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Throwing another model out ther: what about the hovabator 1583?? found one that comes with a fan and turner for $128 plus $57.70 shipping not including duty tax. What do you think?

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I recently bought the 1588 with the turner on ebay from double supply company for 159.00 It was a buy only and with shipping is costing me 177.00 and change. I'm not sure if having the turner is worth it but bought it because it was included.

9. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    The 1583 is basically the 1602 with a picture window instead of the two little windows. Don't do it! I can't stand my 1602...I just fired up my new Genesis/1588 today. After a bit of a panic, I think it's going to be perfect. [​IMG] Here's hoping, anyway! I've never heard anything bad about it, everyone seems to love theirs. I already love that I don't have to deal with that awful adjustment knob on the 1602!! Argh that thing frustrates me!

And as for the turner? I've never had one. Without it you can fit a lot more eggs in your incubator...[​IMG]

I ordered mine from Cutler. They were very nice to deal with and rushed my incubator out of their warehouse--I got it very quickly. Their prices are just as good as anywhere else, maybe a couple of bucks cheaper.

10. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    I just got a 1588 with a turner from Cutler this week (started my eggs yesterday). They were helpful, and pretty easy to deal with. Ordered last Thursday, got it on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by