Question about the Marans Breed????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mourningdove, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi all and please excuse my ignorance here as you all know I am still new to this forum and all of you....I have been reading alot of different post about this breed and there seems to be several different Marans breed, right? Now I have also been on ebay looking at eggs to by and I have some questions for all of you Marans keepers please????
    1, what type of chicken are they?
    2, why are they soooo expensive?
    3, why do their eggs & the birds themselves cost so much?
    4, what makes they so sought after over other breeds?
    Sorry for all the questions but this newbie wants to understand! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Please don't make me hide from ignorance [​IMG]

2. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The key thing that makes them sought-after is the dark color of their egg shells. I know that's why I wanted them. Up 'til very recently, the main factor driving up cost was scarcity.

While the truly well-bred birds, from long-term, well-established breeding programs will still (and maybe always) be harder to find, I think that if you just wait a few months, you'll be able to find darn decent birds at WAY more reasonable prices.

We'll be sharing some eggs later this year, at very little cost, and I know several others who will be doing so, as well.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I agree they are beautiful birds and I love the dark eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by