1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about this coop on Amazon

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cluckcluck1215, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Hello all.

There is this coop on Amazon and it says it can hold 12 Standerd Hens and 20 Bantam hens.I have two Questions.
    1-How many could I fit in there if they are mixed sizes?
    2-How many hens can I fit total?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8WUM5M?psc=1

TIA,

~Kyndra.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Difficult to say. They appear to give two different dimensions. Wonder if one is for the coop and the other is for the run? My guess is no more than 4 to 6 birds at the most. The capacities of these units are vastly overstated. Normal space per bird for the coop is 4 sf per bird. If you have 1 foot floor tiles in your home, imagine one bird per 4 tiles. That would be normal. This is cranked up over 1 bird per tile.......so for each 1 foot floor time, imagine one bird or more. That is commercial cage layer capacity.

For the same money, there are about a dozen ways you could house your birds that would be better.

3. @Howard E could you give me possible coops I could by?I cannot build one from scratch.

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    When I click on this link it is showing a red barn like coop and a wire yard "outdoor" area.
    You do realize that this link^^ is only for the outside "wire yard" part...that is very expensive.

5. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  6. ONLY the run?Oh, I thought it was the coop.

Now, I'm not going to be mean, pushy or sassy here, but I had asked recently on that coop for ducks.They said 6 ducks.Now, ducks are(or most of them are)Much bigger then chickens.So.......????

7. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    • Massive rust-resistant, galvanized wire attachment for the Ware Big Red Barn

It is for JUST the run.

Sorry....I know nothing about housing ducks.

8. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    thats what i got out of reading it also. plus the only comment on it was unsatisfied

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't put more than 3 chickens in that 2nd coop, but that doesn't mean you can't put more.
    It all depends on what you think is comfy enough space fro them.
    Would you like for them to be able to walk around?
    Having too many bunched up in a small space can cause numerous problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by