question about those first little eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HollieOlson, Aug 6, 2013.

1. HollieOlson

HollieOlson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    I found my first three little eggs this week. So excited. One on the floor and two in a nesting box. I know our Speckled Sussex, (Lucille) was laying as I saw her in the box. To the person on here who said they dreamed about their first eggs, I did too, the night before I found the first three. Got 4 more in the last two days always in a pair in the same box. But they are just so little although, the shells are really hard.
    My questions:
    I only see Lucille in the boxes, can they lay more than one egg in a sitting? Or could there be hens beating her to the box?
    Can you eat the little eggs?
    How long before they become regular sized?

And now for the game! Along with Lucille, my chickens are named, Lindsey, (A Buff) George Michael (a Polish hen) Kitty and Maeby (Ameraucanas) Plus two male ducks named Buster and Oscar (Black East Indies)
    What TV show did we name our poultry after?

THANKS!!

My first three eggs last Saturday. Found one on the floor and two in the nesting box.

[​IMG]

2. AvianEgo

AvianEgo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Minnesota
    My guess is someone getting to the box first. Yes! You can eat the little eggs. Its still an egg :)

3. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    My girls recently started laying. The first two weeks the eggs were smaller now they are large beautiful eggs [​IMG]
    It is so exciting isn't it? The first thing I do when I get home each day is run to the coop to see what surprises are waiting there!
    Enjoy!!

4. It can take a few days to a couple weeks to get normal sized.
    You named your pets after Arrested Development, right??

5. HollieOlson

Jun 27, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    And we have a WINNER! Yes Arrested Development as they all had their "chicken" dance especially Gob.

And thanks for the info all. I also love running to the coop to see what gifts they leave me.

So no two eggs at a time? Well I'm guessing Lindsey must be the other one as they are the oldest hens at 5 months old.

YAY!!

6. AvianEgo

AvianEgo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Minnesota
    I don't think they physically can lay two back to back. Maybe one in the evening and again late morning. But i don't know

7. No, they can't lay 2 eggs in a day

8. tetley2003

tetley2003 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Sudbury Suffolk UK
    I collect my eggs almost as soon as they are laid so please explain how 2 days I have had 4 good full sized eggs from 3 hens? I know it sounds imposible but it has happened twice now

9. HollieOlson

Jun 27, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    Super chickens! I have three that are old enough. Just not sure the Polish Hen would be one of them I never see her near the boxes so I'm guessing the one and have seen the other actually up in there early morning in the middle of laying. The two today right after she left were still warm. But I assume if one was already in there when she climbed in she would have kept it warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by