Question about those homemade 5gallon waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by funonahonda, Dec 23, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    How do you fill them? Do you have to turn the bucket over and take the lid off, Please inform me I think I wanna make one, Thanks alot

2. nmred

nmred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Yes, that is what you do. While you have it off, clean everything down, refill, put lid on tight (my lid has a triangle mark on it. I try to line that up with the hole so I know which way to tip it) and turn it upside down onto your tray/dish. They work great! Only problem is that 5 gallons of water--OK 4 1/2 because you can't fill it clear full--can get really heavy! Beats refilling several times a day though.

3. Sheila Adkins

Sheila Adkins Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    I took a five gallon bucket and cut a small round hole in it, took a spicket out of one of those zinfindale boxes of wine, took the spicket apart put one side through the hole and pressed the other part down. i used silicone to seal around the hole.. i carry this out to the pen to fill the waterers with . saves on time.. i am going to make one of the cookie tins heating pads too.. what a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by