Question about tufted geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 2, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think I have decided to get some buff geese from Metzer farm this spring. I like the regular ones, and my son likes anything with feathers on its head. So I was thinking of getting like 2 males nontufted and 2 females tufted.

My question is do geese also have the 'lethal' gene with the tufted?

2. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ok, since no one has answered, I will clarify. [​IMG]

I am wanting to order goslings from Metzer farms this spring. I really want buffs (ok, well I REALLY want sebbies, but those are too expensive!). My son likes any bird that has different feathering: silkies, polish, crested ducks, tufted geese. The buff geese that Metzer has are tufted and non. They have a restriction that either they are sold as pairs or as straight run. I was wanting to get 2 non-tufted males and 2 tufted females, but I'm thinking that's not possible with their restrictions. So I was wondering if the tufted gene in geese is lethal like the crested gene is in ducks. So if I got a pair of tufteds and a pair of non tufteds, would I have to make sure they are not bred together (the tufteds)?

Thanks!

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Sorry no one is answering! I'm not a genetic guru by any means, so maybe if you posted in the "Breeds and Genetics" section, the smarties over there could help you out. To avoid double posting, you could just make something up to put in these posts... [​IMG] so the mods don't get ya. SORRY I'm not much help...

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The lethal gene is in "crested" ducks, not tufted geese. So, it's fine to breed tufted to tufted in geese. I have Tufted Romans, which are quiet, good parenting little geese. They often cross with my male Pilgrim, so we get some tufted grey 'Pilgrim' looking females each year. Cute little buggers.

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I have noticed that when tufted geese are crossed with non-tufted that the crests are alittle smaller. Am I am the only one that wants some of the tufted grey geese from Metzers?

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Oh that's great! I hadn't heard of the tufted being lethal, but a friend of mine said she thought it was, so that's why I was asking. So now I need to figure out if I want all tufted or not! [​IMG]

flyingmonkeypoop---What tufted grey geese? I didn't see those! Are they gentle like the pilgrims and buffs are supposed to be?

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I saw them in their catalog last spring. They got some grey geese imported from France and in the bunch were some tufted birds. I would think that they would be like the hatchery toulouse as far as temperment. It would be really cool to see tufted sebastapols!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by