Question about turkeys

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baltoravens98, Jun 18, 2011.

1. baltoravens98

baltoravens98 New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Hello everyone! I have 3 turkeys and I've had turkeys before but this is the first time I'm experiencing this kind of problem and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a turkey who is about 2 months old. Last week he started acting really strange, his feet would buckle up and he would lose his balance. He also would have no control over his neck. I immediately separated him from the others and in a day he was back to normal. However, 2 days later he was acting the same way, and now he's acting normal again. I was thinking Mareck's Disease, but now I'm not so sure. When he acts like this it almost reminds me of seizures or something similar to it. I don't want to put him down unless he's suffering, and right now he's absolutely fine. Can anyone help me determine what might be going on with him or is my guess correct? Also he was only housed with turkeys, I have my other poultry housed separately. Thanks for all your help!

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Could be a Vit E deficiency. You can get Poly-visol (without iron) at Walmart and try that.

3. baltoravens98

baltoravens98 New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Thank you! I will have to try that. He's been acting fine for almost 2 days now. The only symptoms he's showing is being a little off balance, and his feathers are a bit ruffled. If it is Marek's disease would it come and go like that or is it something that once symptoms start, they just keep getting worse? This is the weirdest thing I've ever dealt with! I'm keeping him isolated, because I'm afraid to put him back in with his pen mates. I appreciate any help and advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by