question about turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cackel, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Please tell me how do I turn my eggs 3 or 4 times a day without all the heat getting out of my incubator . today when I turned them the heat went down to 80. One person on here said don,t take the top off your incubator for the first 14 days ,How do you do that without a turner? I have turners in all but one of my incubator ,but it seems the one that i have to turn is open more than its closed, Am I doing this right? Help please

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I'm guessing you are talking about a styrofoam incubator. One thing that will help some is when you remove the lid, don't tip it or turn it over. Lift the lid straight up and set it down on a flat surface until you are ready to replace it. This will trap/retain some of the heat and give you a head start on getting back up to temp.
    db

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    First you always want to turn your eggs an odd time, three or five. This way the eggs never spend every night on the same side. If the temp drops that much, I would say you have to many egss in the bator. Or you haven't had enough practice. I take it you have the eggs marked so you are sure which side is up the X'S or the O's. Now take the top off and set it flat next to the bator, turn your eggs and put the top back on. This should take less than a minute. Your temp will not drop 19 degrees in a minute. To drop that much the bator will need to be open for four or five minutes. That is to much time.

4. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    OK thanks ,so I guess I just need to do this faster .LOL

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Think about it like this.... A broody hen will get off the nest at least once a day for up to 30 min to eat, drink, poop, so if you open the bator 3x a day for 5 min each you are doing nothing different than a broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by